Sunday, August 31, 2008

Let's start the day off with a funny!

John McCain chooses a running mate.

Ok. Now that that's out of the way, on to the important stuff. Me!

Something has clicked. I'm not sure how, except to say I know it's not by force of willpower. The lady I give my $10 copay to every couple weeks keeps telling me willpower doesn't work, at least not for long, and I think that's finally sunk in. It doesn't sound like a big deal to someone who doesn't have food issues, but I'm eating only when I'm hungry, eating only enough to satisfy the physical hunger, and not snacking mindlessly.

Oh, I'm still tempted. Don't saint me yet. I got out of work last night late, and not having had dinner yet, a million destructive thoughts raced through my mind. All the while, in the back of my mind, the Voice of Reason keeps telling me that I have dinner. It's in the bag of stuff I brought to work with me. Why not just eat the turkey meatloaf and veggies and be done with it?

The Voice of Reason is no fun, as you can plainly see. I allowed myself to entertain thoughts of Chinese pickup, any number of nasty drive-through options, and even a couple options that could be semi-healthful if I ordered mindfully (sushi, Mad Mex). Still hungry (and still toting my originally intended dinner around with me), I headed up to my best friend's house. We had plans to meet up when I was done at work. She had meds for my dog, I had a camera for her to use on her NH trip. Lucky for me, she always feeds me, and she's just as obsessed with healthy eating as I am. Eggplant parm, fresh out of the oven, made with veggies just picked from the garden that day. Does it get better than that? I think not. Especially when paired with best friend chat and a good beer.

This was all accomplished without willpower. It's all about trusting myself, and I think that is what is finally clicking. For the longest time, I felt I was walking on eggshells and at any moment would fall back into my old routines. However, of late I have found some inner peace and trust. Maybe it's the comfort of routine. I have no idea where it's come from but I'm glad it's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment