Thursday, June 18, 2009

Funny the way it is

Lyrics: Funny the Way it Is
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King
Dave Matthews Band


So simple in its irony. It's the song I would write if I had any talent for that sort of thing. I see these occasionally funny - but oftentimes cruel - twists of fate in others' lives daily. I'm there on the worst day - the worst moments - of many people's lives. A front row seat to your misery in your living room, bathroom or back bedroom, but just another day to me, most times. I'm not being intentionally callous, really I'm not. Other peoples' pain does affect me, but if I let it consume my every thought I'd be a shuddering mess of jello in the corner most days.


Lying in the park on a beautiful day, sunshine in the grass, and the children play. Sirens passing, fire engine red, someone’s house is burning down on a day like this


To me it's a simple pronouncement of a d.o.a.; less physical work and paperwork than working a futile cardiac arrest. A relief at the end of a shift, to tell the truth, to know that instead of coding some 88 year-old who has a medical history as long as a banger's rap sheet and has been dead anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours, I'll be making phone calls and consoling family members. To the wife who woke up on just another day and found her husband cool and stiff in his bed, it's the end of normal life as she knew it, and oftentimes, the beginning of the end of her life. Funny the way it is... I do everything I can to ease your pain and help you accept that we can't help, except with funeral arrangements, but what's really on my mind is breakfast.


someone’s house is burning down on a day like this


Funny the way it is, if only that guy had left 5 minutes earlier or later, that tractor trailer wheel that came spinning off on the highway would have hit someone else's car, ripping off part of the hood, the roof, and their head... not that guy. Or maybe if he hadn't been there nobody'd be in that lane and it would have spun off harmlessly into the median.


someone’s house is burning down on a day like this


A disgusted mother calls 911 and tells them to send the police remove her son from the house. A dispatcher fails to relay the fact that the suspect has weapons. Three police officers die in an ambush. Funny the way one sentence spoken over the air that day might have changed everything.


Someone is screaming and crying in the apartment upstairs


Sitting here wondering what other turns in the road my life would have taken... if my mother lived past my 13th year... if I'd have finished my degree ... if we'd have moved to Florida in my teenage years like my father wanted to or if he'd never married that gold-digging whore who changed his will as he lay dying of heart failure. Would I have still lived the painful lesson of living with an alcoholic who gave me my first and only experience on the other side of a domestic abuse call? Would I still be engaged to my soul-mate right now?
Funny the way it is, not right or wrong
Somebody’s heart is broken and it becomes your favorite song

No comments:

Post a Comment