Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Nephew wisdom

Normally those two words would never appear in the same sentence, let alone right next to each other. Let's face it; what can a 25 year old nephew who still lives with mommy teach his successful 38 year old aunt?

That's not to say I'm not proud of my oldest nephew. I grow more sure of his future every day, though it scare the bejeesus out of me that he's getting himself geared up to go to Army basic training in September. It's pretty much all done but the part where he actually shows up. I don't know if he's quit smoking yet, but he was growing quite the fuel tank for his sex machine last time I saw him, in May. Last time I talked to him, he said he's lost 30lbs.

I've seen the following expression millions of times, and normally it's too testosterone-laden, too... HOO-rah!!! for me. However, I've been getting myself back into a daily exercise frame of mind - and believe me, getting the frame of mind in place is much more difficult than the actual exercise. So this little gem in his Facebook status update was perfectly timed for me:

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

After 2 days of getting the job done, as it were, first thing in the morning, I am definitely feeling the weakness leave my body. Every time I climb steps, or rise from a chair, or bend down, I feel those squats and lunges from yesterday, and my quads are reminding me that I re-started a running program today. When I reframe those aches in my mind as weakness leaving my body, I actually grow to enjoy them. It's like my muscles are saying, "Hey, welcome back!"


Hoo-rah, Master Chief.


No comments:

Post a Comment