Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts - Jockeys

Has anyone seen Jockeys on Animal Planet? I am hopelessly addicted to this show. Thank goodness for DVR, because I'd hate to have to choose between this and Friday Night Lights. It's a behind-the-scenes reality show about everyday life for jockeys. It amazes me how these guys (and girls - yeah!!!) make a living. Can you imagine not taking home a paycheck at all if you aren't one of the top 3 in your company every day? That's everyday life for them. They have to train hard and fight the politics of the backstretch; some even resort to eating disorders to make weight. 

It's a little known fact (Cliff Claven) that until about age 12, that is what I wanted to do with my life: Be a jockey. It was around that age that I realized that I was still going to grow, height and weight-wise. I'm still the perfect height. Weight... not so much. If I can lose about 100lbs I might have a chance. I mean, I'm sure that is what's missing from horse racing; the 37 year old n00b cinderalla story, right? 

I wouldn't do it anyway, now, knowing what I know of the racing industry, and its cruelty toward the majestic animals on whose backs it makes billions. *sigh* 

So many causes, so little of my time to devote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment