Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What do you do when you're getting paid to sleep...

... and you can't?

You blog, of course.

It's the first night shift in 4 weeks, which almost always causes me a bit of insomnia. The 3:30am call for a vehicle fire (cancelled prior to arrival) and the 4:30am paranoid/delusional person (whom police were nice enough to transport) certainly don't help. I'm not one of those people who can just lay my head on a pillow and be asleep right away. That little quirk is magnified about 1000X at work. Hell, I'll lie there with my bladder so painfully full that I have to sleep on my back because any other position causes agony - rather than get up and pee, and deal with the additional half hour it takes to fall asleep.

Then there's the little mouse problem we have. I swear, when I laid my head on my pillow, I heard a scratching sound that seemed to be coming from within my bed. Now, I'm not the least bit scared of mice, I even tend to think they're cute. If they want to live out in the garage I'm willing to let bygones be bygones. However when I hear odd scratching chewing noises that seem to be coming from within my bunk? *shudder*

*sigh*

An hour and 15 minutes left. I wonder how much of a nap I can get in before someone breaks a hip on the way to their bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment